How to resolve rent disputes in the UK?


Many babies renting in the UK rent private houses or apartments, so it is inevitable to deal with the landlord. I don't live in my own house. There must be a lot of troubles, such as the landlord does not repair it if it is broken, or somehow a large deposit is withheld when moving out. Members have collected the bad things that everyone encountered on Weibo some time ago, and consulted the professional London law firm Jackson & Lyon LLP on rent disputes. Today we will talk about the common rent disputes. When the landlord violates us The situation of legal rights and interests should be dealt with, in short, no more patience to swallow!




Common rental disputes



The causes of disputes between landlords and tenants can be as varied as small as a light bulb or the entire house, but no matter what the cause, it often ends in a single place. According to everyone's experience, these disputes can be roughly divided into "deposit disputes", "contract disputes" and "second landlords".


Deposit dispute


Generally, more than 95% of the reasons why a landlord withholds a deposit or is unwilling to return a deposit are to find an excuse that the tenant has damaged or soiled the house. If this happens during the contract execution period and the compensation amount is reasonable, we usually pay the compensation. But sometimes the amount of the landlord's deposit is really too large, and there is a feeling of "you haven't negotiated". In this case, there will be a dispute between the landlord and the renter.


@ 读 博士 Reading doubts about career choices: Chinese landlord, check out, find a so-called third party to clean, and asked me 500+ pounds. I ca n’t clean your house even if I ’m a serious cleanser? It is no exaggeration to say that it is much cleaner than I just lived in.


@ 条 二爷: If the washing machine is broken, it will automatically flow out, and the kitchen floor is damaged. In fact, the floor can only be changed for one room. The British landlord, the agent asked us and told us to deduct the entire deposit of 3,000 pounds, because the floor can only be changed for the whole room. And let's go a month in advance, because we have to renovate, we can't delay him to make money to rent.


contractual dispute


The renting contract is the core element of the renting process, and the probability of rent disputes at this stage is also very high. Irregular contracts (or even no contracts), vague repair responsibilities, and no third-party escrow deposits, etc., will cause the landlord to ignore them during the housing process and deduct your deposit later.


@ 椰 乐 多-: Coordinate Manchester City, a Chinese landlord. An old broken washing machine in the house, which was used for about ten years, was broken, so I asked her to come and repair it. After looking for her for a week, people said: This washing machine has been discontinued. The parts are gone, so there is no way to repair it. Would you consider buying a new one? (She also repeatedly emphasized on the phone that I didn't pit you, we are all fair.) Then I went to the school and the school staff said I didn't take any responsibility for this matter. As a result, she took the key directly to my house and asked me to say that it would be resolved in court and even the teacher sued. At the time, I was about to take my final exam. I felt that one thing was worse than one, so I gave the money.


@ 不 急 I drink saliva first: My foreign landlord changed the water heater for me for a month, and then I had no hot water for a month to bathe, and I was so angry that I went straight home. I finally said that I planned to sue him before he fixed it for me.


@ 真 夏夜 的 梦: Chinese landlord! Coordinates Manchester City! I told him a good move time a week in advance and let me move regardless of whether I have a place to live! Let me go at 10 o'clock, and I asked for the same day accommodation fee after moving at 2 o'clock! It was because he drove me away and half of my deposit! Can not cook at home in the morning and evening!


"Second Host"


A "second landlord" is a person who rents a house and then posts it as an "landlord" (usually without the real landlord's knowledge) as an advertisement for renting a house, renting each house separately. This kind of "landlord" not only can't give you a formal contract, but it often happens that things are broken regardless of repair, the deposit is not returned in time, and the play disappears.


@ 妙妙 猫猫 吖: When I first came to London, I rented a second-host house. What I was talking about was living in a large double bedroom, but it turned out to be a living room. She also arranged for the tenants of each house to take turns to clean, and often advertised short-schedule small ads in the group, and really regarded renting other people's houses as her own business.



What to do if I have a dispute over renting a house?


 Of course, the disputes between everyone and the landlord are certainly not limited to the above. Faced with all kinds of bad landlords, everyone has different channels for handling complaints. For example, some regular housing agents have special departments and personnel to handle complaints. Tenants can call or send emails to inquire. For less formal private landlords, tenants can also make written complaints. You can make your complaint. Write it down, and then ask the landlord to reply to your results and treatment in writing. If your communication is unsuccessful, you can complain to the agency or government department that represents the rights of the renter.

Complain directly to the landlord



If you have a complaint handling channel, you can use this channel to make a complaint. For example, some regular housing agent intermediaries will have departments and personnel dedicated to handling complaints. You can call to ask or find the corresponding information on the intermediary website. If you do n’t have a complaint handling channel, or you do n’t know where to lodge a complaint, it is logical that the tenant can make a written complaint. Write down everything you want to complain about, and then ask the landlord to investigate and inquire. Similarly, they also need to reply to your results and treatment in writing. If you are not satisfied with their response or your landlord does not respond to your complaint, you need to look for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) to file a complaint or go to court. It is particularly reminded that the ADR only deals with various complaint applications in England.



Complain to the relevant local government personnel



Every regional government in the UK has a person who specializes in tenant-landlord relations, called the Tenancy Relations Officer (TRO). Their job is to coordinate the tenant when the landlord violates the law. When your landlord violates the following, you can contact TRO:


1. Let you move without giving you notice, such as changing the lock, threatening you to move, driving you away, etc.

2. Violation of your rights, including racial, gender discrimination and threats of sexual assault, harassment and abuse

3. Refuse to repair broken appliances, furniture or houses

4. Don't give you a contract or Rent Book *


* Rent Book is a valid legal certificate generally used by private landlords. If there is no contract, this Rent Book can have a legal effect and record the monthly rent paid. You can buy it at stationery stores such as WHSmith and Ryman, and use it to record each time you pay for your rent.


When TRO receives your complaint, they will contact your landlord and explain the relevant laws to them (because many private landlords may not know the specific legal requirements themselves), if they still choose to ignore them, TRO can deal with them accordingly. Punishment. If the landlord does break the law, this could leave them with a criminal record and result in corresponding fines. If serious, bad landlords may face jail time. Contact your Council and they will provide you with the TRO contact information for your area, or you can find it on the district government website, or you can directly enter your home postal code for enquiries.



File a complaint with the government's environmental health department



In addition to the TRO, each Council should also have a dedicated environmental health officer, called the Environmental Health Officer (EHO). If your housing environment is threatened, they can help you, such as:


1. Dangerous electrical wires, gas tanks or appliances in the home

2. The structure in the home is dangerous and there is no maintenance all year round

3. Moisture or roof leakage

4. Noise from home appliances


When a complaint is received, EHO will come to your home for verification. If the housing environment is affected, they will communicate with your landlord and resolve the issue. If the landlord ignores it, they will issue a formal order for the landlord to resolve the issue Off. Similarly, you can contact EHO's contact information through your district government, or use Shelter to enter your home postal code.


(The article content is from: British Red Scarf